WHY ARE FULL STACK DEVELOPERS IN HUGE DEMAND?
“Jack of all trades makes you the master of the entire game”
This idiom may seem wrong to you but it definitely suits a full stack developer. A full stack developer is someone who can take care of both the clients and server side software. He/she can handle everything relate to development process – from databases, system engineering to client and server.
If you’re still not sure, let us explain to you in detail.
WHO IS A FULL STACK DEVELOPER?
Essentially, a full stack developer is someone who can take care of a project independently owing to his/her knowledge of all the stacks required in development process.
“Stack” means a collection of technological sub modules of an entire project. When one knows full stack, they’re able to handle every module and handle the development process. So, a software consists of the following parts
FRONT END: Just like the front desk of any hotel, front end is the part which is visible to the user. It is also called the presentation layer or client side. Your Instagram’s interface – yes that is front end. Programming languages used are like :
BACK END: Back end is the behind the scenes of any complex program. Commonly known as server side, it takes care of the software invisible to the user eye. some of the commonly used back-end languages.
A coordination between a front end and back end development is essential for the successful completion of a project.
Someone who can handle both the front-end and back-end of a software is called a full stack developer.
A full stack developer must have the following essentials –
- A proficiency in languages required for front-end like Angular, HTML, CSS and back-end development like Java, .Net, Python
- An understanding of at least one or two prominent databases like MySQL, Oracle etc.
- Basic knowledge regarding design, namely, UI design, UX design and basic prototype.
- Most importantly, team handling and time management skills to ideate and execute an entire project on their own.
With changing technology, the line between front-end and back end are blurring.
This has given rise to the demand of full stack developers and it is not going to die anytime soon if we go by the figures given below –
- As per a report by Labor-Statistics-US Bureau, jobs for full stack developers will exceed 853,000 by 2024.
- Startups prefer full stack developer due to their multiple skills and as the number of startups is only increasing, the demand for full stack will grow.
- As per a report by Indeed, full stack development is one of the highest paying job.
CAREER IN FULL STACK DEVELOPMENT:
The future is full stack. As per a research, the demand for full stack developers is going to rise by 20% in the coming years.
In the words of Rishabh Kaul, Founder of Belong “Full stack developers find more relevance in end-to-end product development startups or companies with smaller teams.” Additionally, he also mentioned, “Full stack developers in the product space are paid two times more in comparison to ITES sector. Since they have knowledge and experience in front-end and back-end coding, their insights help large enterprise companies as well.”
In order to understand how lucrative a career in full stack development can be, presenting to you some of the facts regarding career in full stack development –
- HIGH SALARY: As per indeed.com, in the US, the total income per income for a Full Stack developer ranges from $62.1K to $105K. As per glassdoor.com in India, the salary can range from Rs 351,000-1,000,000 for an experienced developer
- IMMENSE GROWTH: A recent report suggests that there are 1.4 million unfilled jobs for Full Stack developers in the USA. A full stack developer is someone who has a broad vision and can be responsible for every aspect of the project. Their multi-skilled abilities make them high in demand for jobs.
- HIGHLY FLEXIBLE: By 2030, most of the IT jobs will be done from home. A full stack developer has the expertise and knowledge of handling the entire project by themselves. This gives them high flexibility and open up great avenues for them in freelance sector.
- QUALITY EMPLOYERS: Not only the role of a full stack developer is well-paid, it is also one of the most sought after jobs by reputed organizations. Big organizations like Apple and General Assembly are always in look out for highly skilled full stack developers.
TRANSITION TO FULL-STACK DEVELOPMENT:
Front-end and back-end development are a complete career in themselves. However, a lot of developers are slowly opting to go full-stack after gaining experience. Full stack development gives a broader picture of an entire process and is a great aid to resume building.
As per industry experts, here is why you should go full-stack as your next big career move-
- If you’re a beginner, full stack development will give you a multi-layered edge in job market and will also improve your longevity owing to your learning of complete web design.
- If you’re a front-end developer, transition to full-stack will give you an overall perspective and will help you in improving your client side interaction.
- If you’re a back end developer, an understanding of full-stack will give you a wider look of how your code helps the end user and will greatly enhance your development vision.
WHY ARE FULL STACK DEVELOPERS IN DEMAND?
Even though traditionalist believe that handling full stack can lower down the efficiency, the demand for full stack developers speaks otherwise.
Let us give you five reasons why we and the world believes that full stack is the future –
- LESSER AMBIGUITY: When you hire a full stack developer, you utilize one brain for multiple purposes. A larger team with specialized front-end and back-end specialists may seem like a good idea in the beginning. But, as a project processes, the coordination and communication becomes difficult. With a full stack developer, one single project can be attributed to one person leading to easy comprehension and no confusion.
- ONE PERSON ARMY: As we have already talked about, a full stack developer is someone who goes beyond traditional web design. A good idea about design structure and user-friendliness are some of the most sought after qualities in an ideal full stack developer. Full stack developers are in demand because of their all-round dependability and knowledge of the entire web design and development process.
- RESOURCE OPTIMIZATION: Theoretically, a larger team with specialized developers is a great concept. However, team management and cohesiveness is not just a lengthy but also a costly process. With a full stack developer on board, one can save a lot of time which would otherwise be wasted in delegation, discussion and reviews. Similarly, an efficient full stack developer can give better output than an average team of front-end and back-end developers at a much lower cost.
- IDEAL FOR START-UPS: The culture of start-ups is fast paced and solution oriented. The process of project idealization, development and deployment with a complete team of front-end and back-end developers may not suit their requirements economically and time-wise. With the rise in number of startups, we have also witness a rise in the demand of full stack developers. Their problem solving attitude make them a perfect fit for startup and small, middle level companies.
- EASY SWITCHING ABILITIES: A full stack developers has a comprehensive knowledge and expertise in the entire technology related to complete web design and development. This enables them to easily switch between front-end and back-end technologies which helps in reducing the complexity of a project. Their knowledge comes as a boon as they’re able to understand every problem of any domain.
- QUICK UP-GRADATION: One of the essential skill one develops as a full stack developer is easy grasp of concepts and technologies. Web development is a continually changing process. One needs to quickly adapt and learn about new updates and technologies. Generally, a full stack developer is known for quickly adapting the new upgrades. In changing technological scenarios such as these, easy adaptability and upgrade is the future.
What one requires in a career is stability. Learning full stack development ensures that you are well-rounded development professional with proficiency in every aspect of programming. Thus, full stack development is a sure shot way of fool-proofing your career and growth.
As they say, with great power comes great responsibilities. Full stack development makes you a wizard of software development and you’re expected to know most, if not all, of the answers during the time adversity and panic. So, if you’re someone who loves dynamic work structure and is always up for a challenge, then, full stack development is for you.
Here are few parting tip to make your full stack journey easier –
- PICK YOUR STACK: You’re going to handle both front-end and back-end, so, ensure that you choose which can help you transition comfortable and efficiently. The traditional stack has been LAMP stack but from past years, MEAN stack is gaining momentum.
- KEEP UPGRADING: In the world of technology, what may be relevant today may be outdated tomorrow. A good full stack developer always remains on toes and keeps herself updated.
- JOIN A GOOD COURSE: Do not hesitate in joining a professional course where you can learn everything from an experienced professional and learn through live projects and assignments before jumping to job market. Check out our full stack courses to learn more about full stack development.
If you have the ability to paint a complete picture of a process, you’ve made as a full stack developer.